(CNN)Rory McIlroy has said he does not feel he has let golf down by missing the Rio Olympics amid fears over the Zika virus.
McIlroy added that he may not even tune in to watch golfers in action at the Games.
His comments came after Jordan Spieth announced his decision not to play at Rio
Monday — a decision meaning none of the world’s top four will be part of the sport’s return to the Summer Games for the first time since 1904.
The long line of withdrawals has raised questions about whether golf should be an Olympic sport.
Tiger Woods, arguably still golf’s greatest draw despite the long-term back problems that have meant he cannot take part at Rio, said the Games “deserved” to have the best players involved.
But world No. 1 Jason Day said last month he would not compete in Rio.
In a statement, the Australian explained: “The reason for my decision is my concerns about the possible transmission of the Zika virus and the potential risks it might present to my wife’s future pregnancies and to future members of our family.
“While it has always been a major goal to compete in the Olympics on behalf of my country, playing golf cannot take precedent over the safety of our family. I will not place them at risk.”
Second-ranked Dustin Johnson, the U.S. Open champion, did likewise Friday, while other high-profile golfers to withdraw from the Rio Games include Adam Scott and Marc Leishman of Australia, South Africans Branden Grace, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel and Fiji’s former world No. 1 Vijay Singh.
Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/golf/rory-mcilroy-rio-olympics-zika-golf/index.html