This year’s summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro are about to begin, and it’s safe to say that it’s been a certified s**t show so far.
For one, Brazil itself is in complete and utter turmoil. The country is currently facing its greatest recession in 100 years, handling a potential global health crisis, and their president was recently impeached. There’s also been an uptick in police killings and 20,000 families have been evicted from their homes.
These are the overarching problems Rio is facing. As if these horrifying realities weren’t not bad enough, here are some other things that have gone down:
- Brazilian police greeted tourists with a “Welcome to Hell” sign at the Rio airport.
- Body parts were found next to an Olympic venue.
- An Australian Paralympic athlete was robbed at gunpoint.
- The water is literally undrinkable.
- Ominous graffiti that reads “we don’t have hospitals!” appears on the side of the road near Rio’s international airport.
- Officials lost the keys to a stadium.
And this is all before the opening ceremony.
But, luckily, it seems we are not alone. Many people have come out on Twitter to share their incredulousness about the mayhem of the Olympic games.
There’s also been a fair amount of people tweeting that they didn’t even remember the Olympics were happening this year.
And maybe that’s the answer. Forget about the Olympics this year, let Rio get itself back together, and do this whole thing elsewhere.
For more Olympics coverage: